Here are some updates on THREE exciting opportunities for students who are registered for WCA. Those from ALL countries are welcome to participate. Please note that we are requesting your response to these and space is limited so acceptances will be on a first-come-first-serve basis — be the early bird who catches the worm!
Hope you have a wonderful conference!
See you soon in Vancouver,
wca student awards
<<Click Here>> for the list of the WCA2016 Student Award winners.
Meet the Mentors
DOWNLOAD THE 'MEET THE MENTORS' POWERPOINT HERE!
1. invitation to volunteer at wca
Soon a call for on-site volunteers will be sent out to all WCA registrants so you will see more information soon when the general call for volunteers goes out to everyone. In the meantime, we wanted to give students who are registered for WCA an advanced chance to get involved by volunteering for a range of tasks that we will need help with on site. Volunteering will give you a chance to meet other students and to work on teams with clinicians and researchers from around the world.
All volunteers will be acknowledged on the website so you will become a part of the history of this great international event if you join our team! The first step is to fill out this simple form https://goo.gl/forms/TZsseiYy87NU4K9T2 as soon as possible to let us know that you want to volunteer and to let us know your first and second choice of activity. The chair of the respective committee for the various options will then be in touch with you to schedule you for your job and provide more information about it.
The options are:
- Assistant Moderator at sessions during the conference (various times on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday)
- Help desk during before, between or after sessions (various times on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday)
- Way-finding help around hotel before, between or after sessions or social events (various times on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday)
- Delegate conference bag stuffing on Saturday September 17th at the hotel
- Guide from hotel to UBC on Saturday September 17th (must be familiar with UBC)
- Welcome ambassador on Sunday September 18th (must be familiar with Vancouver — will involve giving tourist information people from out-of-town and taking small groups on local mini tours for a few hours; e.g., a walk or bike ride in Stanley Park or going on to Granville Island etc.)
2. invitation to tours at the university of British Columbia |
sunday september 18th (all day event)
Student-Led Walking Tour of the University of British Columbia (UBC) campus & School of Audiology & Speech Sciences (SASS)
Sponsored by SASS students and faculty and coordinated by Professor Susan Small from UBC (Contact: email@example.com)
ALL students attending the XXXIII WCA are invited to register for this social event -- a great way to start your WCA experience and to connect with students from all over the world!!
Where: University of British Columbia campus (the only Audiology program in Western Canada)
When: Sunday, September 18, 2016
Who: Student WCA registrants (space is limited so you MUST register in advance -- maximum of 40 people can sign up for this event)
Cost: No cost for the tour but you will be responsible to pay for public transit to/from campus and for your lunch
How to Register for the Tour:
- Reserve in advance by sending an email with subject header “WCA UBC Tour” to firstname.lastname@example.org (please specify that you are signing up for the Student-Led Walking Tour of the UBC campus & SASS in your email). Registration will be accepted for the first 40 students to signup. Your registration will be confirmed by email.
- Students who have registered in advance must go to the “Ambassador Welcome” Desk at the Sheraton Wall Centre Hotel between 10:00 and 10:45 on Sunday September 18th to confirm their reservation. Students who do not confirm their registration on Sunday morning may lose their reservation to other students who are standing-by on site.
- If there are cancellations or no-shows and any spaces are still available then on-site registrations may be accepted at the “Ambassador Welcome” Desk.
Agenda for the Tour:
|10:45||Depart from the congress hotel to go to UBC with UBC student
guides on public transportation (http://tripplanning.translink.ca).
|12:00||Arrive at UBC campus and begin tour|
|12:00 - 13:00||Guided tour of the beautiful UBC campus (https://www.ubc.ca/) -
UBC students/alumnae will share their favourite views and campus features
|13:00 - 14:30||Lunch (Mahoney’s; http://mahonyandsons.com/ubc-location.html) -
everyone will be responsible for purchasing their own lunch)
|14:30 - 15:30||Tour of SASS facilities (http://audiospeech.ubc.ca/) -
visit research labs and get to know some of our graduate students
|15:30 - 16:00||Snack and beverage break hosted by SASS|
|16:00||Depart UBC campus|
|17:00||Arrive back at Congress hotel (note that the WCA opening ceremony starts at 6pm)|
3. invitation to student-mentor networking lunch |
Wednesday September 21st
Sponsored by the International Response Audiometry Study Group (IERASG: http://www.ierasg.ifps.org.pl/)
Coordinated by Dr. Li Qi from Vancouver General Hospital and Professor Susan Small from the University of British Columbia
(space is limited to the first 80 students who sign up for the lunch)
This special lunch is open to student delegates and selected mentors. Students registered for the event will be treated to a light lunch and have an opportunity to network with each other and to interact with mentors selected from the distinguished program of invited presenters. Note that we plan to seek input from students registered for the lunch when the final selection of mentor is made. Spaces are limited and registration for the lunch will be on a first-come-first-serve basis. Once the spaces are filled then no more requests for registration will be accepted. You will receive an email confirming whether or not your request for registration has been accepted, along with information about participating in the final selection of mentors. For further information please see the student section of the conference website.
To register for the lunch please fill out the online form: https://goo.gl/forms/tVY0nHRSdck9RRoQ2
Where: Azure Room (Sheraton Wall Centre Hotel, South Tower, 3rd floor — elevators from lobby in South Tower)
When: Wednesday September 21st noon to 1pm
Who: Any student WCA registrants (space is limited and you must register in advance -- maximum of 80 students can sign up for this event)
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR 5 SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENTS!
It is the goal of the ISA to encourage participation from future student leaders in Global audiology. With that in mind, ISA is excited to congratulate the 5 Scholarship Recipients who can share their research findings at the WCA2016 here in Vancouver! Click below for more information about each of the recipients.
Each scholarships winner receives $1,500 USD to help cover the costs of registration, transportation and accommodation at the congress.
ISA STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP CONTACT:
Lena L N Wong, PhD, FAAA, CCC-A, FHKSA
Division of Speech and Hearing Sciences
University of Hong Kong
Room 768 Meng Wah Complex
Pokfulam Road. Hong Kong
Email: email@example.com and copied to firstname.lastname@example.org